Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hi, my name is Mr. Handsome

Hi, my name is Mr. Handsome. The last few weeks have been like a tornado. Everything has been happenin so fast that my head is just now startin to quit spinnin. I came from a backyard where I lived without much shelter everyday of the year. The person that watched over me - turns out those people are called “owners” - didn't feed me much or often. I thought this was normal, that every dog lived that way and all “owners” were the same. I also thought that I had somethin wrong with me from birth and that's howcome I'm missin so much fur. Turns out I was wrong. Not all dogs live that way, just the unlucky ones. Not all dogs live outside everyday of the year in all kinds of weather. I found out that some dogs have families not just “owners”.

You see, one day while I was trying to stay warm as usual, wonderin how much longer I could last out in the cold like that, with most of my fur gone and my body covered in oozin sores; this angel showed up and put me in a car. Boy let me tell you, the warmth of the car felt real good after bein outside half naked in the middle of winter…. I wanted to give her a ton of kisses but she gently pushed me back and said I had to see the doctor first, to make sure my condition was not “contagious”… She promised me that a time for kisses would come soon. I liked that :-)

We went to another place where lots of pictures were taken of me. I was unsure of my potential as a model but I went with the flow cause I'm a laid back sort of guy. Hey, nothin could be worse than where I came from, right? Besides, I was told the pictures were to show people how terrible I looked so we could find even more people to help me. I also heard that the pictures would be used in court to “prosecute’ my previous "owner". I don’t know what that means but it must be somethin good. I can tell I am with good people now.

So I was taken to a doctor not long after that. The doctor said that I was subjected to neglect (doctors use big words like that) and I have somethin called “mange”. He said he had never seen so many demodex mites in the microscope…. He said that my mange is so bad that I have other infections. It probably doesn't help that I scratch at it too. But on a good note, I don't have bald spots cause of a birth defect! That's great news cause that means my skin is fixable. I WILL look like Brad Pitt one day…


The doctor also mentioned words like “emaciated”, “dehydrated”, “compromised immune system”, and blablabla…. Way too complicated for me… In 2 words; “I’m in bad shape and I need to get better”…

So I was told that MPR is my new foster family that will always be there for me but that the ultimate goal is for me to find my “Forever Family”. I'm told that a Forever Family is just like MPR but smaller and my new forever family will be by my side till the day I die. AND that by me finding a Forever Family it makes room for another dog like myself that needs a family and not just an “owner”. Oh what a dream!!! BUT, I have to get better first and that's why my name is Mr Handsome. Cause everyone that helped me get to my MPR family said that under all the mange, scabs and wounds, I am a handsome boy, which leads to my first nickname Mr. Handsome Pants! My other nickname is Pigpen (like from the Peanuts). I've been told it's cause I smell so bad and there is a green cloud that follows me around. I don't think this is true cause I haven't seen any green cloud.. I keep lookin for it but have never seen it. I tell you what though, I'm gunna get better so I can have me a Forever Family and plenty of kisses.


Right now I'm tired a lot so I can't go to any events. They say it's cause of all the medicine that I am on and my system that is fightin inside to get rid of the mites and infection. I don't mind takin the meds cause they make me feel better. Have you ever been bitten by a fire ant? You know how it hurts, burns and itches all at once? That's how my whole body feels so that is why I have to take the meds. The doctor says all the itchin is cause my skin is healin. This whole gettin healthy bit really does a number on you that's for sure.


Oh man I tell you what, when I get to feelin better and can play I'm gunna do the “Pigpen Hoedown” ( seen here at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ4c7E57P8Q ). I'd like to do it now but I can't just yet. Think I can get my temporary foster mom to do it with me? Hee hee hee. Ooooo, I took my very first bath ever the other day! I wasn't sure at first but then when the warm water hit my skin...... oooooo my goodness. It was very soothing. I now take medicated bathes 3 times a week and I can already feel the difference on my skin…. Did I also mention that I have my very own space heater that stays close to my bed to help keep me warm at night? You know since I'm missin some fur and all, my foster mom wants to make sure I am as comfortable as possible…. Can you believe this? Someone actually cares about my comfort and well bein....


All this talk about my comfy bed and soothin warmth is making me tired so I'm gunna go to bed now, I'll give another update soon. I've been told that I have "fans" that are followin my progress ... Fans, for me.... I do feel like Brad Pitt already. ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but submissions that use derogatory language and/or include inappropriate content will not be published.